Table of Contents
- Why go to Norfolk?
- What is Norfolk famous for?
- Fun Facts about Norfolk
- How big is Norfolk?
- When is the best time to visit Norfolk?
- How many days do you need to see Norfolk?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Norfolk?
- Is Norfolk an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Norfolk?
- What food (and drinks) is Norfolk known for?
- Is Norfolk safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Norfolk?
- What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Norfolk?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Norfolk?
- Is Norfolk a good place for solo travel?
- Is Norfolk a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Norfolk a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Norfolk?
Why go to Norfolk?
You must visit Norfolk at least once in your lifetime because there are various historic sites, world-class museums, restaurants, and boutiques in Norfolk, Virginia. Most attractions in Norfolk, VA, may be reached by foot, vehicle, or train, making it convenient for visitors.
- Elizabeth River Trail
- The Chrysler Museum of Art
- Norfolk Botanical Garden
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum
- The Virginia Zoo
- Hermitage Museum and Gardens
- MacArthur Memorial
- Ocean View Beach
- Hunter House Victorian Museum
- Children’s Museum of Virginia
- Pagoda & Oriental Garden
- American Rover Sailing Cruises
- Norfolk Police & Fire Museum
What is Norfolk famous for?
Norfolk is famous for attractions including the Norfolk Opera, the Norfolk Stage Company, the Virginia Symphony Orchestra, the Virginia Arts Festival, the Chrysler Hall and Chrysler Museum of Art, and the General Douglas MacArthur Memorial, and Nauticus, the National Maritime Center of the United States of America.
Fun Facts about Norfolk
- Norfolk International Terminal has the US’s biggest inter-model center.
- Many oceangoing cruise lines and the USS Wisconsin naval fleet port in Norfolk’s harbor when not at sea.
- Because of the city’s long history and diverse antique shops, the region is well-known for its diverse selection of one-of-a-kind items.
- The USS Wisconsin battleship is based in Norfolk, which also has a bustling waterfront. The Half Moone Cruise and Celebration Center downtown serves as a port of call for oceangoing cruise ships carrying up to 3,000 people.
- The largest naval station in the United States and NATO’s headquarters are located in Norfolk, which has a rich military history.
How big is Norfolk?
The city is about 5,371 square km or 2074 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Norfolk?
The best time to visit Norfolk is the months of October through March.
How many days do you need to see Norfolk?
4 to 5 days should be enough time to tour Norfolk Island.
What is the cheapest time to go to Norfolk?
The low season (flights) to visit Norfolk is in October.
Is Norfolk an expensive city to visit?
According to previous travelers’ spending habits, you should budget $133 per day for your Norfolk holiday. Previous tourists have paid an average of $39 per person for a day’s worth of meals and local transportation. In addition, the average hotel rate for a couple in Norfolk is $135 per night.
How to save money when visiting Norfolk?
The best ways to save money when visiting Norfolk are:
- Take advantage of the fact that entry to art museums is free!
- To unwind, have a picnic, and have fun in the open, Town Point Park and the Elizabeth River Trail are the ideal locations for a fee.
- Explore the Slover Library, which has a large collection, is well-organized, and has excellent personnel. There are plenty of periodicals and newspapers to peruse in this well-stocked library.
- It is O’Connor Brewing Co. You may park for free in their private lot or on the streets on 24th and 23rd Streets if you like.
What food (and drinks) is Norfolk known for?
Things you need to eat in Norfolk before you die:
- Cromer crab
- Norfolk black turkeys
- Two to Mango
- The English Whisky Co., Roudham
Is Norfolk safe to visit?
Tourists might feel comfortable visiting Norfolk because of the city’s low crime rate. To guarantee a successful journey through Virginia, some preparations must be followed. Always, common sense is the most vital tool for keeping safe. Don’t go out at night alone, especially in the Granby/Downtown area.
What is the best way to get around in Norfolk?
The best way to get around in Norfolk are:
What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Norfolk?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Norfolk are:
- North Shore
- Colonial Place
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Norfolk are:
- Liquor & Loaded
- Namaste Village Norwich
- New Sole Plaice
- The Old Mill Café Bar
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Norfolk are:
- MacArthur Center
- Thrift Store USA
- Norfolk Premium Outlets
What should I do on my first trip to Norfolk?
If visiting Norfolk for the first time, you should tour the historic Battleship Wisconsin. It is currently berthed at Nauticus and is widely regarded as one of the largest and last US Navy battleships ever built. You may also visit the United States Navy, which operates the Hampton Roads Naval Museum. You can look at a wide range of things in this museum, such as weapons, ship models, and artifacts found underwater.
Is Norfolk a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you will see that the city of Norfolk has much to offer, even if you’re on your own for a few days and don’t know anybody else. Norfolk is a nature lover’s paradise, as if that wasn’t enough. You can visit the Norfolk Botanical Garden or the Virginian Zoo. You can explore on your own time.
Is Norfolk a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Norfolk as a family with kids, you are in for a real treat. The Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay are just a short drive away from Norfolk, so you’ll never run out of family-friendly activities. In addition, the city boasts a fascinating past and several family-friendly activities, like the Virginia Zoo.
Is Norfolk a good place for couples?
When visiting Norfolk as a couple, you will see that it has something for every type of couple, from those who prefer the beach to those who want the great outdoors. Norfolk, one of Virginia’s most beautiful coastal cities, is the ideal location for a romantic trip.
What are the best annual events in Norfolk?
The best annual events in Norfolk that you cannot miss are
- Love Light Norwich in February
- Sheringham Viking Festival in April
- Norwich City Ale of Festival in May and June
- Norfolk & Norwich Festival in May
- North Norfolk Food & Drink Festival in September