Table of Contents
- Why go to Mauritania?
- What is Mauritania famous for?
- Fun Facts about Mauritania
- How big is Mauritania?
- When is the best time to visit Mauritania?
- How many days do you need to see Mauritania?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Mauritania?
- Is Mauritania an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Mauritania?
- What food (and drinks) is Mauritania known for?
- Is Mauritania safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Mauritania?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Mauritania?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Mauritania?
- Is Mauritania a good place for solo travel?
- Is Mauritania a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Mauritania a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Mauritania?
Why go to Mauritania?
You must visit Mauritania at least once in your lifetime because, in Mauritania, you’ll find sand and the sea. It’s no surprise that the deserts of Adrar and Tagant (in the vicinity of Atar) and Banc d’Arguin (on the coast) are popular tourist destinations (a natural reserve with dunes ending in the sea, full of millions of birds and protected by UNESCO).
- Banc d’Arguin National Park
- Diawling National Park
- Galerie Zeinart
- Iron Ore Train
- Mauritania Sahara
- Port de Peche
- Ride a camel
What is Mauritania famous for?
Mauritania is famous for being one of Africa’s newest oil producers. It connects the Arab Maghreb with western sub-Saharan Africa. Arab-Berbers inhabit the country’s north, which is mostly desert, whereas black Africans live in the south. Nomadism is common among the region’s inhabitants.
Fun Facts about Mauritania
- The latest country to abolish slavery was Mauritania. It was only in 2007 that the country’s legislation, passed in 1981, was made criminally punishable.
- One of the world’s largest ship graveyards’ may be seen in Mauritania’s bay of Nouadhibou. When ships are no longer wanted, they are abandoned in the bay, where there are more than 300.
- 2/3 of Mauritania is covered by the Sahara desert, making it a desert nation. There are few hills in the middle of the country, but for the most part, this is a flat desert.
- Two countries worldwide do not use decimal currency: Mauritania and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Madagascar is the other.
How big is Mauritania?
Mauritania is about 1,030,000 square km or 397,685 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Mauritania?
The best time to visit Mauritania is the months of November to March, during the winter.
How many days do you need to see Mauritania?
In Mauritania, at least seven days should be set aside for a multi-day trip. Three or four areas can be combined into a unique beach/city/culture/food tour over a full week or 10 days.
What is the cheapest time to go to Mauritania?
The low season (flights) to visit Mauritania is in the months between July and September.
Is Mauritania an expensive city to visit?
You should budget around MRO15,278 ($43) per day for your trip to Mauritania, which is the daily price that is considered the norm based on the amounts that previous tourists have spent while there. Previous vacationers reported an average of MRO1,808 ($5.06) on one day’s worth of meals and MRO17,547 ($49) transportation inside the destination.
How to save money when visiting Mauritania?
The best ways to save money when visiting Mauritania are:
- You can get both meals and supplies for cooking food in shops.
- Pick accommodations located a couple of blocks away from the busiest tourist locations.
- When traveling for an extended period, you could want to stay in hostels or volunteer.
- Take precautions, and make reservations in plenty of time.
What food (and drinks) is Mauritania known for?
Things you need to eat in Mauritania before you die:
- Thieboudiene- a traditional fish and rice lunch dish in coastal areas.
- Yassa Poulet- The dish is typically served over a bed of French fries, but it can also be served on white rice.
- Mahfe- prepared with goat or camel meat seasoned with peanuts. The peanuts are pounded to a fine powder by hand and mixed with tomato paste and jachtini (ground okra).
- Hakko- Over couscous, a spinach-like sauce made from ground bean leaves is served.
Is Mauritania safe to visit?
Because of the possibility of terrorism, especially against Western interests, avoid unnecessary travel to Mauritania. It is safe to say that crime is on the rise but at a modest rate. The beaches in Nouakchott that are unlit and remote are not recommended.
What is the best way to get around in Mauritania?
The best way to get around in Mauritania are:
- Private Taxis- which travel between towns, are another common means of transportation.
- Bush Taxis- However, they can be pricey and unmetered, so be sure to haggle before you get in the car.
- Train- This mode of transportation is only available in northern Mauritania between the cities of Nouadhibou and Zouerat. Still, it’s more of a tourist attraction than a mode of transportation that locals use.
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Mauritania?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Mauritania are:
- Al Khaima City Center عمارة الخيمة
- Casaẞlü Hotel
- Azalaï Hotel (Marhaba )
- Hôtel Al Salam Resort
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Mauritania are:
- Port de Pêche
- Plage de Nouakchott
- Banc d’Arguin National Park
- Terjit Oasis
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Mauritania are:
- Marche Capitale
- Marche Turc
- Marche aux Khaimas
What should I do on my first trip to Mauritania?
If visiting Mauritania for the first time, learn about the Port of Pêche. Nothing is better than spending a weekend at Nicola beach near the airport. For one day, take in all that the Banc d’Arguin National Park offers. Terjit Oasis is a great place to visit and have fun. Also, don’t forget to visit the Mauritania Sahara Desert, an amazing and breathtaking location. In the wake of all the images taken from space, the Eye of the Sahara is an impressive sight. Not to be missed are the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Ouadane and Chinguitty.
Is Mauritania a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, Mauritania is a dangerous place to go alone. According to recent reports, Westerners have been kidnapped and executed, and violent crime is rising. Maintain the utmost level of alertness.
Is Mauritania a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Mauritania as a family with kids, Camping and guesthouses are inexpensive options for exploring the Sahara in this country. If you’re looking for a family vacation, here is the place: there are plenty of open spaces and no malaria in the central Adrar region. Using a local travel agent to arrange for a car, driver, English-speaking guide, and cook was a better option.
Is Mauritania a good place for couples?
When visiting Mauritania as a couple, Mauritania is a hidden gem of a vacation destination, with stunning desert landscapes and a peaceful coastline that is ideal for a romantic break.
What are the best annual events in Mauritania?
The best annual events in Mauritania that you cannot miss are
- African Liberation Day in May
- Tabaski in October
- Diwali in November