Table of Contents
- Why go to Mauritius?
- What is Mauritius famous for?
- Fun Facts about Mauritius
- How big is Mauritius?
- When is the best time to visit Mauritius?
- How many days do you need to see Mauritius?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Mauritius?
- Is Mauritius an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Mauritius?
- What food (and drinks) is Mauritius known for?
- Is Mauritius safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Mauritius?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Mauritius?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Mauritius?
- Is Mauritius a good place for solo travel?
- Is Mauritius a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Mauritius a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Mauritius?
Why go to Mauritius?
You must visit Mauritius at least once because it is one of the world’s most unusual vacation spots. It is a rich melting pot of magnificent beaches, opulent hotels, and interesting tourist sites. There is something for everyone in Mauritius, whether they are seeking a romantic getaway for two, a family vacation full of recreational activities, or an energetic vacation full of adventure.
- Albion Lighthouse
- Belle Mare Beach
- Black River Gorges National Park
- Blue Bay Marine Park
- Blue Penny Museum
- Caudan Waterfront
- Chamarel Seven Colored Earth Geopark
- Chamarell Waterfall
- Flic En Flac Beach
- Grand Bassin
- Île aux Cerfs
- La Vanille Nature Park
- Le Morne Brabant
- Le Pouce
- Mont Choisy Beach
- Pereybere Beach
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden
- Trou aux Cerfs
What is Mauritius famous for?
Mauritius is famous for being the home of numerous national parks, beautiful waterfalls, numerous hiking paths (many of which offer stunning vistas), and a botanical garden that is truly spectacular. Nature lovers will be in heaven here, as the island is home to a wide variety of indigenous plants and some of the most elusive birds in the world. Mauritius is also a melting pot of cultures and cuisines.
Fun Facts about Mauritius
- The Arabs were the first inhabitants of Mauritius.
- The cuisine of Mauritius is among the world’s best.
- The island of Mauritius was formed by the eruption of a volcano eight million years ago.
- Mauritius is unique because it’s home to an incredible underwater “waterfall.”
- The dodo’s only known habitat was on the island nation of Mauritius.
How big is Mauritius?
Mauritius is about 2,040 square km or 787.6 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Mauritius?
The best time to visit Mauritius is the months of May, June, and September to November.
How many days do you need to see Mauritius?
It is recommended that you stay in Mauritius for 7-14 days. This is ample time to see and do all the island offers. If you’re looking for something to do for days on end, this is the place to go! Even the lesser-known places can be explored, and you’ll have plenty of time to unwind between activities.
What is the cheapest time to go to Mauritius?
The low season (flights) to visit Mauritius is May to October.
Is Mauritius an expensive city to visit?
If you compare it to other places in the region, Mauritius is a bit pricey, but you may make it whatever price range works best for your budget.
How to save money when visiting Mauritius?
The best ways to save money when visiting Mauritius are:
- If possible, avoid the peak season.
- Strive to get a better price through bargaining.
- Purchase a Local Sim Card
- Drinking tap water in Mauritius is very safe.
What food (and drinks) is Mauritius known for?
Things you need to eat in Mauritius before you die:
- Mauritian Biryani – Saffron rice is the basis of this cuisine, which can be served with beef, chicken, or fish marinated in various flavors.
- Dholl puri – Split peas, turmeric, and cumin are roasted on a flat cylinder pan known as the tawa.
- Rum – Green island and Pink Pigeon
- Alouda – Almond Flavoured Faloda is an Indian Falooda sub variation. Mixing agar agar (from seaweed), basil leaves, and milk with essence produce a pink or green-colored dessert.
Is Mauritius safe to visit?
You may travel to Mauritius with confidence. This is it if you’re looking for a safe African vacation destination. The crime rate in Mauritius is extremely low. Non-violent petty stealing is the most common kind of crime in the area.
What is the best way to get around in Mauritius?
The best way to get around in Mauritius are:
- By Bus – Buses are an inexpensive and enjoyable way to get around the island, except for the remote areas of Plaine Champagne and Le Morne Peninsula.
- By Car and Motorbike – Self-driving around the island is becoming incredibly common because driving is on the left, traffic signs are in English, and gasoline costs are comparatively low.
- On Excursions – Several travelers to Mauritius take advantage of the simple and fairly priced minibus excursions provided by local tour operators, mostly from hotels and resorts on the island.
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Mauritius?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Mauritius are:
- Grand-Baie – is Mauritius’ greatest nightlife destination. It’s one of Mauritius’ most desirable locations to stay.
- Le Morne is a little peninsula with beautiful beaches. The island’s most enticing fauna can be seen in the surrounding area. The village has a laid-back vibe and is a favorite among scuba divers.
- Flic en Flac – The white sand beach at Flic en Flac, one of the island’s longest, is the main attraction. This coastal village is situated around 15 kilometers south of Port Louis.
- Mahebourg – Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport, where most visitors to Mauritius begin their journey, is only a short drive away at Mahebourg.
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Mauritius are:
- Port Louis Street Food
- Mahebourg Village
- Grand Bay
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Mauritius are:
- Bagatelle Mall – Moka
- Le Craft Market – Caudan Waterfront
- Bay Bazaar – Grand Baie, Rivière Du Rempart
- The Mahebourg Market – For the Best Shopping Experience
What should I do on my first trip to Mauritius?
If you are visiting Mauritius for the first time, make your trip extraordinary and travel like a local. Indulge in various water-based activities, such as boat cruises to the outer islands, interacting with tortoises, shopping at Port Mathurin’s Saturday market, and diving and snorkeling along La Passe St. François. Despite the abundance of things to do, much of Rodrigues’ attractiveness derives from something far simpler: the sheer pleasure of being here.
Is Mauritius a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo may be both frightening and thrilling at the same time, but there’s nothing to worry about. Just carry your passport, enough money, sunblock, and a camera!!! Everything else is taken care of by the rich experiences, delicious cuisine, spectacular scenery, fantastic prices, and wonderful memories that await you on your journey.
Is Mauritius a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Mauritius as a family with kids, you can go on a jungle adventure at La Vanille Crocodile Park. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to interact with stunning, gigantic tortoises in the park and play with them. There is also a small zoo in the park, where you may see various animals, including reptiles and mammals. It is where kids can have a good time and participate in various fun activities.
Is Mauritius a good place for couples?
When visiting Mauritius as a couple, you will be amazed at what the country can offer. There are many stunning beaches to choose from in Mauritius and a romantic break. Exciting romantic activities like parasailing and skiing are readily available. It’s also lovely to take a sunset stroll down the beach if you’re searching for a more laid-back option.
What are the best annual events in Mauritius?
The best annual events in Mauritius that you cannot miss are
- Mid-Autumn Festival in September
- Chinese Spring Festival in February
- Lantern Festival in February
- Wellness Festival Mauritius in May
- Eid Ul Fitr in May