Table of Contents
- Why go to Malawi?
- What is Malawi famous for?
- Fun Facts about Malawi
- How big is Malawi?
- When is the best time to visit Malawi?
- How many days do you need to see Malawi?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Malawi?
- Is Malawi an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Malawi?
- What food (and drinks) is Malawi known for?
- Is Malawi safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Malawi?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Malawi?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Malawi?
- Is Malawi a good place for solo travel?
- Is Malawi a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Malawi a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Malawi?
Why go to Malawi?
You must visit Malawi at least once in your lifetime because the friendliness and kindness of the people who live here are legendary. As the biggest freshwater lake in the country, Lake Malawi serves as a symbol of the country’s uniqueness. You’re in for a real treat when you visit these pristine waters and serene isles.
- Liwonde National Park
- Kasungu National Park
- Lake Malawi National Park
- Nyika National Park
- Mulanje Mountain Forest Reserve
- Likoma Island
- Marelli Islands
- Ntchisi Forest Reserve
- Mua Mission
What is Malawi famous for?
Malawi is famous for being “The Warm Heart of Africa.” Malawi is well-known for the warmth of its people, as well as for its stunning scenery and diverse animal population. People who visit or reside in the nation say it is one of the friendliest and safest in the world.
Fun Facts about Malawi
- Malawi was the first African nation to commercially cultivate tea.
- Lake Malawi is home to the most varieties of fish in the world.
- Lake Malawi is one of the country’s most beautiful bodies of water.
- Carlsberg opened a brewery in Malawi, the first nation to do so outside Denmark.
- Malawians love the Chambo fish, a kind of fish native to the country.
How big is Malawi?
Malawi is about 118,484 square km or 45,746 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Malawi?
The best time to visit Malawi is the months between May and October. At this time of year, temperatures range from 64 to 91 degrees Fahrenheit. The days are characterized by abundant sunlight, verdant landscapes, and pleasant nights.
How many days do you need to see Malawi?
One week is enough time to see the country’s wildlife, landscape, culture, and lake. There is more to learn and discover the more time you have.
What is the cheapest time to go to Malawi?
The low season (flights) to visit Malawi is in January. The months of June, July, and August are regarded as the high season.
Is Malawi an expensive city to visit?
In Malawi, you can expect an average daily price of MWK50,662 ($62) based on previous travelers’ experiences. Meals for one day cost an average of MWK14,416 ($18), while local transportation costs an average of MWK17,488 ($22). Malawian hotels cost an average of MWK39,430 ($48) a night for a couple. The cost of a one-week vacation for two persons to Malawi averages out to MWK 709,272 ($872).
How to save money when visiting Malawi?
The best ways to save money when visiting Malawi are:
- Rent a vehicle, make point-to-point transfers, or use local transportation during the “green” or “shoulder” season.
- Be a fan of camping or backpacking lodges
- To save money and enjoy new sensations, eat locally.
- Without long lineups or exorbitant prices, enjoy the great outdoors!
What food (and drinks) is Malawi known for?
Things you need to eat in Malawi before you die:
- Chambo, a local Tilapia fish, is a delicacy in Lake Malawi.
- Nsima, a Malawian staple, is a delicious meal.
- Carlsberg, Malawi gin, and South African wine are the most popular brands for beer.
- Nthochi, or banana bread, is a traditional Swahili snack.
Is Malawi safe to visit?
Regarding African nations, Malawi is regarded as one of the safest to visit. It’s a great place to visit because of the beautiful Lake Malawi and plenty of animals. Since the country’s independence, there have been no serious political disturbances.
What is the best way to get around in Malawi?
The best way to get around in Malawi are:
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Malawi?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Malawi are:
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Blantyre Ryalls
- Amaryllis Hotel
- Lakeside Hotel
- Mvuu Lodge
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Malawi are:
- Harry’s Bar (Mandala Road, Lilongwe Old Town) is open all day and half the night for burgers and beer.
- Blue Ginger (Old Town, Lilongwe) serves premium Indian food.
- Golden Peacock Restaurant (Lister Ave, Lilongwe) has cheap, tender beefsteaks.
- Alem Ethiopian Restaurant (Victoria Avenue, Blantyre) serves traditional Ethiopian food and coffee.
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Malawi are:
- Old Town Mall
- Chichiri Shopping Centre
- Pacific Parade
- Century City Mall
What should I do on my first trip to Malawi?
If you are visiting Malawi for the first time, Malawi is a welcoming place for tourists, and most Malawians are happy to meet and talk with visitors. You can see the Big Five at Majete Wildlife Reserve, eat chambo and chips while watching the sunset at Lake Malawi, getaway on the lake at Likoma Island, have a party at the Lake of Stars, or walk up to the edge of the escarpment in quiet, historic Livingstonia.
Is Malawi a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, Malawi is a great destination to begin a solo journey to Africa since it is so welcoming to those who want to travel alone. It’s simple to meet other tourists in a city with pleasant residents and a rising tourist population. There is a significant price difference between a single and a double or twin accommodation, and many upscale lodges and safari firms charge an additional fee for a single traveler. The Nyika National Park used to provide horseback safaris that you can try. At the same time, Lake Malawi is one of the best places to dive in the world because of its clean, peaceful, warm, shark-free, and tidal-free waters with an abundance of vividly colored tropical fish (up to 1000 species).
Is Malawi a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Malawi as a family with kids, one of southern Africa’s safest nations, Malawi is a popular destination for family vacations. Aside from the cheetah in Liwonde National Park (which will soon be a Big 5 park), Malawi’s safari locations include Majete Wildlife Reserve and Liwonde National Park (a Big 5 reserve, as well containing cheetah). There are five lodges with swimming pools in both parks, which is great news for families with young children who like splashing about. There are also excellent Malawian guides that specialise in family safaris and go the additional mile to ensure that your little one is getting the most out of the experience possible, learning about the bush and tracking animals through their tracks and spoor!
Is Malawi a good place for couples?
When visiting Malawi as a couple, In Liwonde National Park, Mvuu Lodge, you may see a wide variety of birds soaring over the African sky. Dinner in the dining room is a wonderful opportunity to take in the natural splendor of the Shire River. There are eight luxurious en-suite tents with individual observation decks, where you can enjoy bird watching as you sleep peacefully. Take a magnificent river safari to see hippo, elephant, and waterbuck in their natural habitat. The fish eagle is one of the many birds that birdwatchers might see. Book a Bush Breakfast at Kuti Wildlife Reserve if you plan a trip there.
What are the best annual events in Malawi?
The best annual events in Malawi that you cannot miss are
- Chilimike in January
- Martyrs Day in March
- Easter in March/April
- Lake of Stars Festival in October
- Blantyre Arts Festival in November