Table of Contents
- Why go to Madagascar?
- What is Madagascar famous for?
- Fun Facts about Madagascar
- How big is Madagascar?
- When is the best time to visit Madagascar?
- How many days do you need to see Madagascar?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Madagascar?
- Is Madagascar an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Madagascar?
- What food (and drinks) is Madagascar known for?
- Is Madagascar safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Madagascar?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Madagascar?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Madagascar?
- Is Madagascar a good place for solo travel?
- Is Madagascar a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Madagascar a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Madagascar?
Why go to Madagascar?
You must visit Madagascar at least once in your lifetime because the animals and biodiversity of Madagascar are well-known worldwide. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enjoy spectacular scenery, white sand beaches, stunning rainforests, and great local cuisine.
- Amber National Park
- Andasibe-Mantadia National Park
- Anja Community Reserve
- Ankarana National Park
- Avenue of the Baobabs
- Ile Sainte Marie
- Isalo National Park
- Kirindy Forest
- Lokobe National Park
- Nosy Be
- Nosy Mangabe
- Ranomafana National Park
- Rova of Antananarivo
- Royal Hill of Ambohimanga
- The Three Bays
- Tsingy de Bemaraha Strict Nature Reserve
- Tsingy Rouge Park
- Zoma Market
What is Madagascar famous for?
Madagascar is famous for its lemurs and chameleon. Madagascar is also home to some of the world’s most unusual plants and animals, including the towering baobab trees and gorgeous orchids.
Fun Facts about Madagascar
- Fourteen million people call Madagascar home.
- Madagascar is the only place on Earth where you may find 70 different species of lemurs.
- The vast majority of Madagascar’s fauna and flora are unique to the planet.
- There are three UNESCO World Heritage Sites on the island of Madagascar.
How big is Madagascar?
Madagascar is about 587,041 square km or 226657 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Madagascar?
The best time to visit Madagascar is from September to October. Since it has been warmer, the lemurs have become more active and outgoing.
How many days do you need to see Madagascar?
Because of the poor road conditions and the dubious reputation of the country’s lone airline, Air Madagascar, I recommend spending at least 10 days in Madagascar.
What is the cheapest time to go to Madagascar?
The low season (flights) to visit Madagascar is in January to March when cyclones can hit the coasts, and the rainy season makes it difficult to get about.
Is Madagascar an expensive city to visit?
The average daily cost of a holiday in Madagascar is MGA299,858 ($75), based on other tourists’ spending.
How to save money when visiting Madagascar?
The best ways to save money when visiting Madagascar are:
- Travel during the off-season –Low season is the best time to fly to Madagascar
- Take local minibusses – Taking public minibusses between towns is a good option.
- Skip the car rental – Renting a car is cheaper than hiring a driver.
What food (and drinks) is Madagascar known for?
Things you need to eat in Madagascar before you die:
- Romazava-Perhaps the star of the typical foods of Madagascar, or at least the best known. It consists of a stew of diced zebu meat cooked with tomatoes, onion, ginger, and bredes, a sort of spicy cress.
- Ravitoto-Ravitoto, a dish made with mashed cassava leaves with either pork or zebu meat, is common in Madagascar.
- Akoho-Chicken and rice make up this classic Malagasy dish.
- Lasopy-This vegetable soup is often served as a starter. It constitutes part of the meals you must eat in Madagascar.
Is Madagascar safe to visit?
Madagascar is, for the most part, a safe place to visit. However, it has a high crime rate, primarily caused by petty criminality in light of the widespread unemployment and poverty in the area.
What is the best way to get around in Madagascar?
The best way to get around in Madagascar are:
- Car- In most cases, the cost of renting a car includes the services of a driver. Having a driver and a vehicle of your own allows you to go wherever you want, whenever you want.
- Tour Bus – If you don’t want to organize trip details like schedules and accommodations, try experiencing Madagascar with a local tour operator.
- Taxi-Brousse-Taxis-brousse (also known as bush taxis) are small buses used to transport people between towns in Madagascar.
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Madagascar?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Madagascar are:
- Tana-is preferable if you want to stay on Madagascar’s main island.
- Nosy Be- is more of a beach and party hotspot.
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Madagascar are:
- Nosy Be
- Nosy Boraha
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Madagascar are:
- Analakely Market
- Lisy Art Gallery – Souvenirs
- La City Centre Commercial
- Le Village Maquettes De Bateaux
What should I do on my first trip to Madagascar?
If you are visiting Madagascar for the first time, known for its hiking trails over sheer limestone cliffs, the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park is a must see for anybody who loves the great outdoors! To reach here from Morondava, you need at least 3 more days. You can find similar stones in Ankarana National Park, north of Madagascar. Both are stunning in their own right. Cycling around and viewing the magnificent cater lake! Your first stop is Antsirabe. This is a charming town in the high mountains of Madagascar. Two lakes can be reached by a challenging bike ride from here. From Antsirabe, you drive directly via Morondava. Avenue des Baobabs, one of Madagascar’s most popular tourist attractions, can be found in Morondava. Make sure to arrive at Avenue des Baobabs at the end of the afternoon, so you can catch a sunset immediately.
Is Madagascar a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, traveling alone can be intimidating regardless of where you go. It can feel all the more threatening on a lonely island with a beleaguered infrastructure. The good news is that solo travelers will have an amazing time in Madagascar.
Is Madagascar a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Madagascar as a family with kids, expect this is one of the best sites for a family safari in the world. Madagascar offers various landscapes, fascinating wildlife, and friendly natives. Incorporating trips to nearby villages broadens the tour’s appeal to the entire family.
Is Madagascar a good place for couples?
When visiting Madagascar as a couple, Madagascar is an island nation off the east coast of Africa. It is a place you’ve wanted to visit for a long time. A Madagascar honeymoon opens the gateway to unprecedented adventures making your romantic getaway even more special.
What are the best annual events in Madagascar?
The best annual events in Madagascar that you cannot miss are
- Alahamadi Be in March
- Santabary Festival in the month of late April/early May
- Famadihana in June
- Feria Oramena in June