Table of Contents
- Why go to Guatemala?
- What is Guatemala famous for?
- Fun Facts about Guatemala
- How big is Guatemala?
- When is the best time to visit Guatemala?
- How many days do you need to see Guatemala?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Guatemala?
- Is Guatemala an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Guatemala?
- What food (and drinks) is Guatemala known for?
- Is Guatemala safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Guatemala?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Guatemala?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Guatemala?
- Is Guatemala a good place for solo travel?
- Is Guatemala a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Guatemala a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Guatemala?
Why go to Guatemala?
You must visit Guatemala at least once in your lifetime because of its abundance of Mayan ruins, friendly people, and spectacular natural environments, such as forests and volcanoes. The land’s natural beauty and varied history have made it a popular tourist spot with many interesting and beautiful things to see.
- Basilica of Esquipulas
- Chichicastenango Market
- Chicken Bus
- Day of the Dead: Kite Festival
- El Paredon
- Fuentes Georginas
- Indian Nose
- Lake Atitlán (Lago de Atitlán)
- Grutas de Lanquín (Lanquín Caves)
- Livingston and Caribbean Coast
- Mayan Ruins of Tikal
- Museo Popol Vuh
- Museum of Mayan Costumes (Museo Ixchel del Traje Indigena)
- Rio Dulce (Sweet River)
- Semana Santa
- Semuc Champey
- Volcan Fuego
What is Guatemala famous for?
Guatemala is famous for its natural beauty, historic ruins, and great cuisine. It is a popular tourist destination. Guatemala is also known for its volcanoes, Mayan culture, and the colonial city of Antigua, which is on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Fun Facts about Guatemala
- The Guatemalan currency bears the name of the country’s national bird.
- Tamajulco is Guatemala’s highest peak.
- 20,000 years of continuous human habitation
- Guatemala’s official language is Spanish.
- The civil war in Guatemala was the longest in Latin American history.
How big is Guatemala?
Guatemala is about 108,889 square km or 42042 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Guatemala?
The best time to visit Guatemala is the months of November to April
Visit Guatemala during the dry season, which runs from November to April, and you’ll get the most out of your trip. Temperatures typically range from 72°F to 90°F, making it possible to visit the country annually.
How many days do you need to see Guatemala?
The tiny area of Guatemala makes it possible to explore its most famous volcanoes, colonial towns, and Mayan sites in a little over a week. However, you may tour the city’s most well-known attractions in as few as five days.
What is the cheapest time to go to Guatemala?
The low season (flights) to visit Guatemala is May to October.
From May through October, the city only has one other season: the rainy one. Booking flights to Guatemala City during the rainy season will help travelers save money.
Is Guatemala an expensive city to visit?
In Central America, Guatemala is one of the most economically developed places. Even so, it’s still more expensive than you’d receive in Southeast Asia. As a result of our frequent group travel, we had a smaller budget than expected. The average cost per day for a Guatemala trip is Q304 ($40), based on the experiences of past visitors.
How to save money when visiting Guatemala?
The best ways to save money when visiting Guatemala are:
- When you get to the airport, use the shuttle instead of a cab.
- Find bargains in the local markets and pacas.
- Hospedajes, or guest homes in Guatemala, might be a better alternative than a hostel if you’re on a budget.
- Old North American school buses, known as “chicken buses,” are the most affordable kind of public transportation.
What food (and drinks) is Guatemala known for?
Things you need to eat in Guatemala before you die:
Is Guatemala safe to visit?
Strikes and demonstrations are common in Guatemala, as are high violent crime rates and barricades. Reduce the risk of things going awry by taking all possible safeguards.
What is the best way to get around in Guatemala?
The best way to get around in Guatemala are:
- Chicken buses
- Tourist shuttle
- Taxi, or rideshare
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Guatemala?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Guatemala are:
- Hotel Cirilo, Antigua Guatemala
- Hotel Candelaria Antigua
- Selina Antigua
- Mikaso Hotel
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Guatemala are:
- Casa Chapina
- Cafe Restaurante Hamburgo
- Hip Tres Elefantes restaurant
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Guatemala are:
- Oakland Mall
- Centro Comercial Majadas Once
- Casa del Jade
- Paseo Cayala
What should I do on my first trip to Guatemala?
If visiting Guatemala for the first time, visit a Central American archaeological site. Northern Guatemala, near the Belizean border. Tikal, Guatemala, has well-preserved Mayan ruins. Tikal’s setting is beautiful. Birds, monkeys, and other species live under the jungle canopy. It towers over the rainforest.
Is Guatemala a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you can visit Antigua, Guatemala’s capital and most famous city, which is a must-see destination for anybody visiting Guatemala. This is the best option for a city to call home for a while. If you’re looking for a place to stay that’s affordable and full of great cuisine and fun activities, this is the place for you.
Is Guatemala a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Guatemala as a family with kids, you can make your own chocolate at the ChocoMuseo in Antigua, Guatemala. For adults and children alike, it’s a fascinating experience, and you get to take home anything you produce as a keepsake.
Is Guatemala a good place for couples?
When visiting Guatemala as a couple, you should go to Café Sky, a romantic restaurant with high-quality cuisine. Its patio offers a wonderful view of Antigua, Guatemala, and a range of food and drinks. You have no reason to arrange that trip or date with these possibilities. Guatemala provides numerous romantic possibilities, from secluded highlands to good wine and lavish breakfasts. Romance beckons!
What are the best annual events in Guatemala?
The best annual events in Guatemala that you cannot miss are
- Festival Folklórico de Cobán in the month of July
- Feria de Santo Tomás in the month of December
- CARNIVAL in February
- JUEVES DE ASCENCION in the month of May
- LA FIESTA NACIONAL INDIGENA DE GUATEMALA in July