Table of Contents
- Why go to Rochester?
- What is Rochester famous for?
- Fun Facts about Rochester
- How big is Rochester?
- When is the best time to visit Rochester?
- How many days do you need to see Rochester?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Rochester?
- Is Rochester an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Rochester?
- What food (and drinks) is Rochester known for?
- Is Rochester safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Rochester?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Rochester?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Rochester?
- Is Rochester a good place for solo travel?
- Is Rochester a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Rochester a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Rochester?
Why go to Rochester?
You must visit Rochester at least once in your lifetime because this community is located in the beautiful bluff lands of southeastern Minnesota and is home to the prestigious Mayo Clinic. Rochester is as pedestrian-friendly as it comes, with parks, 136 kilometers of winding bike lanes, and a clever public transportation system comprised of tunnels above and below ground. Set out to discover its fascinating history, modern downtown, and abundant outdoor leisure. It’s also a good starting point for day trips to the Mall of America, the Mississippi River, and historic Bluff Country along the Root River.
- Amish Tours of Harmony
- Apache Mall
- Calvary Episcopal Church
- Chester Woods Park
- Douglas State Trail
- Downtown Peace Plaza
- Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center
- Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery
- Heritage House Victorian Museum
- Mayo Civic Center
- Plummer House
- Quarry Hill Nature Center
- Rochester Art Center
- Rochester Civic Theatre
- Rochester Farmers Market
- Rochester Trolley & Tour Company
- Salem Glen Vineyard and Winery
- Soldiers Field Veterans Memorial
What is Rochester famous for?
Rochester is famous for being home to the world-renowned Mayo Clinic.
Fun Facts about Rochester
- Rochester is home to the Mayo Clinic, one of the nation’s finest medical facilities. It is also the world’s largest nonprofit medical practice. Because of the renown of the Mayo Clinic, Rochester is commonly referred to as “Med City.”
- It’s a city with a hundred parks. Rochester offers over a hundred parks and over 85 miles of trails.
- In 2016, Rochester was named the best small to mid-sized city to live in by Livability.
- The Music Festival runs throughout the summer. The annual “Down by the Riverside” outdoor concert series throughout July and August offers famous artists and local talent. Every weekend, different performers perform, so there’s something for everyone.
- Competitions for high school students are prevalent. Nothing makes Rochesterians happier than their decades-old high school rivalries. People pay as much attention to high school sporting and academic events as college and professional sports in other cities.
How big is Rochester?
Rochester is about 144 square km or 55 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Rochester?
The best time to visit Rochester, Minnesota, is the months of June through August.
How many days do you need to see Rochester?
You can explore the city of Rochester for two to three days.
What is the cheapest time to go to Rochester?
The low season (flights) to visit Rochester is in December.
Is Rochester an expensive city to visit?
A seven-day vacation to Rochester costs an average of $1,501 for a single traveler, $2,696 for a couple, and $5,054 for a family of four. Rochester hotels range in price from $59 to $459 per night, with an average of $115, most vacation rentals cost between $140 and $380 per night for the entire home. Depending on your plan, you should set aside $63 to $117 per person per day for transportation and meals at local restaurants.
How to save money when visiting Rochester?
The best ways to save money when visiting Rochester are:
- Travel during the off-season.
- Shop and eat at local restaurants.
- Visit tourist attractions with free admissions.
What food (and drinks) is Rochester known for?
Things you need to eat in Rochester before you die:
- Garbage Plate from DogTown
- Mike’s Sandwich from Spot Coffee
- Good Luck Burger from GoodLuck
- Cheesecake Shake from Highland Park Diner
Is Rochester safe to visit?
Overall, Rochester is a relatively safe city to live in and visit. Rochester’s violent crime rate is much lower than the national average and the average for Minnesota.
What is the best way to get around in Rochester?
The best way to get around in Rochester are:
- Taxis or ride shares
- Car rentals
- Shuttle services
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Rochester?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Rochester are:
- Downtown Rochester
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Rochester are:
- Chester’s Kitchen & Bar
- Half Barrel
- Hefe Rojo
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Rochester are:
- Apache Mall
- University Square
- Crossroads Center
- Maplewood Mall
What should I do on my first trip to Rochester?
If you are visiting Rochester for the first time, you can visit Silver Lake Park, located on the outskirts of downtown Rochester and provides excellent things to do in Rochester for those seeking outdoor relaxation. A popular route for rollerbladers and runners follows the Silver Lake shoreline. Soak in a stroll and take in the fresh air and skyline views. Takeout for lunch and have a picnic at one of the lakeside tables.
Is Rochester a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you can travel to the city of Rochester. If you love art, Rochester Brainery is a learning center where you can take various classes. A lesson here is fantastic for solo travel in Rochester. What’s amazing about this place is that you can take a wide range of art classes. You can come here to learn about painting, working with clay, or any other sort of art!
Is Rochester a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Rochester as a family with kids, this city, ranked “the second finest city in the United States for children,” is a kid-friendly location that parents will appreciate for its caring atmosphere, leisurely pace, and easy access to entertainment and attractions. Spark, Rochester’s children’s museum, offers hands-on enjoyment. Spark encourages you to participate in the exhibits rather than simply watching them. They open young learners’ imaginations to new possibilities and teaching by doing.
Is Rochester a good place for couples?
When visiting Rochester as a couple, you can have your romantic getaway at the Rochester Art Center. Temporary exhibitions at the Rochester Art Center feature established artists from around the world and up-and-comers whose work reflects a wide range of media. The Emerging Artist Series, one of the organization’s initiatives, features new work by Minnesota’s most promising up-and-comers.
What are the best annual events in Rochester?
The best annual events in Rochester that you cannot miss are
- Rochesterfest in June.
- Thursday’s Downtown in June through August.
- Suffrage Exhibit in June.
- Drifters Car Show in July.
- Feast! Local Foods Marketplace in November.