Table of Contents
- Why go to Juneau?
- What is Juneau famous for?
- Fun Facts about Juneau
- How big is Juneau?
- When is the best time to visit Juneau?
- How many days do you need to see Juneau?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Juneau?
- Is Juneau an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Juneau?
- What food (and drinks) is Juneau known for?
- Is Juneau safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Juneau?
- What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Juneau?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Juneau?
- Is Juneau a good place for solo travel?
- Is Juneau a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Juneau a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Juneau?
Why go to Juneau?
You must visit Juneau at least once in your lifetime because Juneau is a mountain town, a seaside settlement, and is Alaska’s capital city with the most picturesque views. Nature, animals, and culture all come together to make Juneau one of the most beautiful places in the world. Southeast Alaska is the beating heart of the state and not just the state capital. It is an excellent place for outdoor lovers, shoppers, and foodies.
- Admiralty Island
- Channel Islands
- Douglas Island
- East Glacier Trail
- Glacier Gardens Rainforest
- Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Gold Creek
- Jensen-Olson Arboretum
- Juneau-Douglas City Museum
- Juneau Whale Watch
- Macaulay Salmon Hatchery
- Mendenhall Glacier
- Mount Roberts
- Nugget Falls
- State Capitol Building
- Tracy Arm Fjord
- Tracy’s King Crab Shack
- The Alaska State Library, Archives, and Museum
- West Glacier Trail
What is Juneau famous for?
Juneau is famous for being a wild place. It is home to 280 species of various animals, such as black and brown bears and birds. It is also home to five species of whales and salmon. Wildlife abounds in Juneau, both on land and under the water.
Fun Facts about Juneau
- Juneau’s closest neighbor is a massive ice field which is Mendenhall Glacier.
- Juneau’s first name was Harrisburg, but it also had a second name! Juneau has had two renamings.
- By the end of the year, the prospector Juneau demanded that something be named after him, so the name was altered. In 1881, the settlement was finally christened Juneau.
- Alaska’s capital was relocated from Sitka to Juneau in 1906.
- The Alaskan Hotel first opened its doors in Juneau in 1913. This makes it Alaska’s oldest functioning hotel.
How big is Juneau?
Juneau is about 8,430 square km or 3,255 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Juneau?
The best time to visit Juneau, Alaska, is the months of May and August.
How many days do you need to see Juneau?
The most recommended days to fully explore Juneau are 3 to 4 days.
What is the cheapest time to go to Juneau?
The low season (flights) to visit Juneau is in the month of mid to late August.
Is Juneau an expensive city to visit?
You should budget roughly $128 per day for your holiday in Juneau, the average daily price based on other tourists’ expenses. Previous visitors spent an average of $39 on meals for one day and $30 on local transportation. In addition, the average hotel cost in Juneau for a couple is $141. So, a one-week trip to Juneau for two people costs an average of $1,792. All these average travel prices were gathered from other travelers to help determine how much you want to spend on your own trip.
How to save money when visiting Juneau?
The best ways to save money when visiting Juneau are:
- Rent a car
- Make use of coupons
- Eat at local restaurants
- Take advantage of free admissions at national parks
What food (and drinks) is Juneau known for?
Things you need to eat in Juneau before you die:
- Smoked Salmon Chowder
- Fish & Chips
- Wild Berry Halibut Burger
Is Juneau safe to visit?
There is a low overall danger here, with some specific areas of worry to consider. The city is very small, but there is so much for a tourist to do that you will almost certainly be on an expedition and strolling down a risky street.
What is the best way to get around in Juneau?
The best way to get around in Juneau are:
- On foot
- On bicycle
- Rent a car
What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Juneau?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Juneau are:
- Starr Hill
- West Juneau
- Lemon Creek
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Juneau are:
- Lemon Creek
- Auke Bay
- Franklin Street
- Seward Street
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Juneau are:
- Goldbelt Tram
- Sealaska Heritage Institute
- Annie Kaill’s Fine Crafts Gallery
- Decker Gallery
What should I do on my first trip to Juneau?
If you are visiting Juneau for the first time, the moment you set foot on the streets of downtown Juneau. Stop and allow your gaze to ascend over the lush green rainforest only eight blocks away. This photo shows the creamy-white particles on the cliffs right below Mount Juneau’s 3,576-foot summit. A wild mountain goat can see the hair on your head because they have such high-resolution vision. So, don’t forget to pack a hat… or two. Up here, it rains a lot.
Is Juneau a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you can wander the beauty of Juneau without the hassle, unwind, and immerse yourself in its breathtaking scenery as this is one of the safest cities in the US. Juneau is as much about the journey as it is about the destination. Take the water in a kayak, boat, helicopter, or seaplane. A vacation to Juneau involves more than just seeing a new city; it also involves doing things that, back home, would seem impossible.
Is Juneau a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Juneau as a family with kids, you will love visiting Juneau! As it is an excellent destination for families with children. Nature’s magnificence and the city’s walkable center entice tourists in large numbers. However, if you have a car and are willing to put it on a ferry, you can drive to Juneau.
Is Juneau a good place for couples?
When visiting Juneau as a couple, you can let your body and mind rest and unwind by booking a romantic vacation to Juneau. The great outdoors will strengthen your connection; the tranquil isolation of the little city will allow you to relax, and the restaurants will excite your taste buds.
What are the best annual events in Juneau?
The best annual events in Juneau that you cannot miss are
- Alaska Folk Festival in April.
- Seward’s day in March.
- Gold Rush Day in the month of June.
- Annual Gallery Walk in December.
- Alaska Day in the month of October.