Table of Contents
- Why go to Lyon, France?
- What is Lyon, France, famous for?
- Fun Facts about Lyon, France
- How big is Lyon, France?
- When is the best time to visit Lyon, France?
- How many days do you need to see Lyon, France?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Lyon, France?
- Is Lyon, France, an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Lyon, France?
- What food (and drinks) is Lyon, France, known for?
- Is Lyon, France, safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Lyon, France?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Lyon, France?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Lyon, France?
- Is Lyon, France, a good place for solo travel?
- Is Lyon, France, a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Lyon, France, a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Lyon, France?
Why go to Lyon, France?
You must visit Lyon, France, at least once in your lifetime because several UNESCO World Heritage sites may be found in this third-largest city in France. It has been decades since the city’s high-quality crops, and famous gastronomy was recognized.
- Aquarium de Lyon
- Bouchons de Lyon
- Golden stones Beaujolais Wine Tour with Tastings from Lyon
- Institut Lumière
- La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière
- La Croix-Rousse
- La Fontaine Bartholdi
- La Place Bellecour
- Le Périscope
- Le Wagon Bar
- Les Halles de Lyon – Paul Bocuse
- Lyon Opera
- Lyon Zoo
- Mini World Lyon
- Musée des Confluences
- Parc de la Tête d’Or (Park of the Golden Head)
- St. George’s District
- Take a French cooking class.
- Vieux Lyon
- Villa Maïa
What is Lyon, France, famous for?
Lyon, France, is famous for its historical and architectural monuments. The city has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site by the United Nations. Lyon was traditionally an important location for manufacturing silk, and it has since evolved into France’s gastronomic capital. As Lyon is most known for its culinary offerings, it has been dubbed “The Gastronomic Capital of the World” since 1935!
Fun Facts about Lyon, France
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, the father of the Petit Prince, was born in Lyon.
- A museum in Lyon is designed to resemble a spacecraft.
- The cinema was born in Lyon.
- Lyon was home to one of the world’s top restaurants for the longest time.
- Despite the men’s success, the women’s football squad is much more impressive.
How big is Lyon, France?
Lyon is about 48 square km or 18 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Lyon, France?
The best time to visit Lyon is the months of September and October.
Visit Lyon in September or October when the city is deserted by summer visitors when the air is fresh and chilly, and the trees are ablaze with color.
How many days do you need to see Lyon, France?
This tour includes all of Lyon’s most prominent sights and a few lesser-known gems. The city’s rivers, hills, and parks deserve at least three days of your time, so make the most of it! You can also spend several days getting to know the culture and visiting the most interesting places.
What is the cheapest time to go to Lyon, France?
The low season (flights) to visit Lyon, France, is November to April.
Lyon is less crowded and cheaper to get to by plane, train, and hotel room during the off-season (approximately November to early April). You may also learn more about the city’s culture and traditions by staying in a local hotel.
Is Lyon, France, an expensive city to visit?
Even though Lyon is 20 percent cheaper than Paris, it’s still one of the most costly cities in France. In reality, prices are growing across the board. A Lyon vacation costs an average of €100 per day, depending on the spending habits of previous visitors.
How to save money when visiting Lyon, France?
The best ways to save money when visiting Lyon, France are:
- Get a city card for Lyon. If you have this card, you’ll get free admission to various attractions, as well as savings on various other attractions, such as the bus tour, the aquarium, and more.
- Head to the Bellecour and View Lyon neighbourhoods adjacent to the ONLYLyon headquarters if you wish to pee for free.
- If you want to explore Lyon on the cheap and without difficulty, use the Vélo’v System.
- Check out the websites that provide promo codes to get a decent deal.
What food (and drinks) is Lyon, France, known for?
Things you need to eat in Lyon, France before you die:
- Salade Lyonnaise
- Pâté en croûte
- Beaujolais Wines
- Café allongé
Is Lyon, France, safe to visit?
Because of the city’s excellent police force, Lyon is a very safe place to live. Pickpockets and criminals may prey on tourists in the city center of Lyon, although they are rare. But don’t worry — even the worst can be avoided with a little common sense and general safety.
What is the best way to get around in Lyon, France?
The best ways to get around in Lyon, France are:
- Public Transport
- The Lyon Metro system
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Lyon, France?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Lyon, France are:
- Away Hostel
- Slo Living Hostel
- La Presqu’lle
- Vieux Lyon (Old Town)
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Lyon, France, are:
- Bistro B
- Lady Bao
- La Cocagne
- Les Fines Gueules
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Lyon, France, are:
- Part-Dieu Shopping center
- Confluences Shopping Centre
- Vieux Lyon
What should I do on my first trip to Lyon, France?
If you visit Lyon, France, for the first time, you may take a boat ride on the Saône river. Four riverbanks around the Presqu’ile, the center of Lyon, are flanked by two lovely rivers. You may take a one-hour guided tour of the Saône River to experience the city’s beautiful architectural landscape from the water.
Is Lyon, France, a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you can go to the Vieux Lyon. Regarding architecture, Lyon is a city where the ancient and the new meet. On the other hand, Vieux Lyon is the place to go if you want to see a lovely ancient town with cobblestone streets and every street corner nicer than the last.
Is Lyon, France, a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Lyon, France as a family with kids, you will enjoy your time in Lyon because you’ll find numerous beautiful parks and gardens, marketplaces, and unique outdoor areas that make it a World Heritage site. The third-largest French city is well known for its cuisine. Still, it also has a decent selection of activities for families with children. As a result, families with small children will not be short of things to do.
Is Lyon, France, a good place for couples?
As a couple visiting Lyon, France, you will enjoy Lyon’s lovely atmosphere! A visit to the city’s various historic structures and parks is only the beginning of what Lyon has to offer couples. Visit Lyon’s own Ferris wheel, the one at Bellecour Square. The diameter of the wheel is 60 meters. Take a ride on a Ferris wheel to view Lyon and its rivers in a new light.
What are the best annual events in Lyon, France?
The best annual events in Lyon, France, that you cannot miss are:
- Faites de la musique (Make some music) in the month of June.
- Festival French Kiss in January and February.
- Lyon Street Food Festival in June.
- Biennale Musiques en Scène in the months of March and April.
- The Fourvière Nights in June and July.