Table of Contents
- Why go to Laos?
- What is Laos famous for?
- Fun Facts about Laos
- How big is Laos?
- When is the best time to visit Laos?
- How many days do you need to see Laos?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Laos?
- Is Laos an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Laos?
- What food (and drinks) is Laos known for?
- Is Laos safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Laos?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Laos?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What should I do on my first trip to Laos?
- Is Laos a good place for solo travel?
- Is Laos a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Laos a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Laos?
Why go to Laos?
You must visit Laos at least once in your lifetime because it has 49 ethnic groups and a wide range of cuisines, arts, traditions, and celebrations. Tourists can go hiking, biking, kayaking, or rafting in the country’s many rivers and mountains.
- Bokeo Nature Reserve
- Huay Xai
- Kuang Si Caves & Waterfalls
- Luang Namtha
- Luang Prabang
- Muang Ngoi Neua
- Muang Xay
- Nong Khiaw
- Pak Beng
- Pha Pheng Waterfall
- Pha Tad Ke Botanical Garden
- Si Phan Don Islands
- Sinouk Coffee Tour
- Tham Kong Lo
- Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre
- Vang Vieng
- Vientiane City
- Wat Phu
What is Laos famous for?
Laos is famous for possessing the highest treehouse in the world. Laos is also home to the oldest human fossil in Southeast Asia and is one of Asia’s fastest expanding economies. If you’ve ever wanted to see a land where elephants roam free, Laos should be on your list of places to visit.
Fun Facts about Laos
- More sticky rice is consumed in Laos than anywhere else.
- There is no ocean, yet there are thousands of islands.
- It is common knowledge that Laos and Thailand share the same language.
- The Southeast Asian region’s greatest waterfall may be found here.
- The mysterious ‘crater lake’ is located here.
How big is Laos?
Laos is about 236,800 square km or 91429 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Laos?
The best time to visit Laos is the months of November, December, and January.
The months of November through January are often the best for visiting Laos. You’ll be able to make the most of the weather and the available activities.
How many days do you need to see Laos?
Its modest size doesn’t detract from the fact that Laos has everything a traveler in Southeast Asia might ask for. It is possible to see much of the nation in just seven days.
What is the cheapest time to go to Laos?
The low season (flights) to visit Laos is September to October.
September through October is peak monsoon season throughout the country, making distant locations difficult to visit. In October, the weather becomes drier yet cooler. In the low season, there are fewer tourists, which means cheaper travel and lodging.
Is Laos an expensive city to visit?
Travel to Laos is still affordable. You don’t have to join a tour group to visit most of these sights. You have the option of renting a motorcycle or hiring a tuk-tuk driver. Different towns and villages in Laos have different prices, with Luang Prabang being the most expensive place to visit.
How to save money when visiting Laos?
The best ways to save money when visiting Laos are:
- Select and Pay for Your Own Attractions and Transport
- Don’t Forget to Bring Water (and Filter)
- When possible, solo travelers who want to save money on transportation costs should walk when they can.
- Stay at a homestay or hostel to improve your Kip.
What food (and drinks) is Laos known for?
Things you need to eat in Laos before you die:
- Sticky rice (Khao Niaw)
- Green Papaya Salad (Tam Mak Hoong)
- Rice whiskey
- Namkhong Beer
Is Laos safe to visit?
Laos is one of Southeast Asia’s safest tourist destinations; residents are courteous and polite. Touristy areas may have bothersome crimes like fraud and pickpocketing. Be cautious and take precautions to avoid problems.
What is the best way to get around in Laos?
The best way to get around in Laos are:
- Vehicle and bike rental
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Laos?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Laos are:
- Sanctuary Hotel Luang Prabang
- Satri House Secret Retreats
- Settha Palace Hotel, Vientiane
- Ban Pako (Lao Pako) Eco Lodge
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Laos are:
- The Apsara
- Morning markets (talat sâo)
- Blue Lagoon
- Simmaly Restaurant
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Laos are:
- Vangtong Evening Market
- La Cave Wine Shop
- Carol Cassidy’s Lao Textiles
- Phaeng Mai Gallery
What should I do on my first trip to Laos?
If you are visiting Laos for the first time, take a day excursion from Vientiane to the Buddha Park, or “Spirit City.” Located just 25 kilometers away, it is an excellent option. Several concrete sculptures of Buddhist and Hindu mythological characters, including humans, animals, and demonic beings, may be seen in a strange park. The park’s centerpiece is a 120-meter-long monument of a reclining Buddha.
Is Laos a good place for solo travel?
You should not miss Khone Phapheng Falls, the world’s largest waterfall, when traveling solo. Also, sightseers may obtain an insight into the religion and culture of Laos at the Buddhist temples. Visiting the temples alone affords some significant time for thought.
Is Laos a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Laos as a family with kids, you spend the day in the water with elephants. The Elephant Village Sanctuary in Luang Prabang is a non-profit organization committed to rehabilitating and preserving Asian elephants. Feeding the elephants and swimming with them in the Nam Khan River are just two examples of the fun activities you and your children may participate in.
Is Laos a good place for couples?
When visiting Laos as a couple, you should get away to Muang La; it’s a terrific place for couples looking for a quiet setting away from the crowds. Among the foggy mountains and lush forests is a location where you can hear nothing but the sounds of nature. It’s also possible to just sit back and enjoy the view of the river’s blue steam while chatting with your partner.
What are the best annual events in Laos?
The best annual events in Laos that you cannot miss are
- Bun Pha Wet in January
- Lao Handicrafts Festival in October and November
- Bun Bang Fai in May
- Khao Pansa in the month of July
- Lai Heua Fai in October