Table of Contents
- Why go to Sierra Leone?
- What is Sierra Leone famous for?
- Fun Facts about Sierra Leone
- How big is Sierra Leone?
- When is the best time to visit Sierra Leone?
- How many days do you need to see Sierra Leone?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Sierra Leone?
- Is Sierra Leone an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Sierra Leone?
- What food (and drinks) is Sierra Leone known for?
- Is Sierra Leone safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Sierra Leone?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Sierra Leone?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Sierra Leone?
- Is Sierra Leone a good place for solo travel?
- Is Sierra Leone a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Sierra Leone a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Sierra Leone?
Why go to Sierra Leone?
You must visit Sierra Leone at least once in your lifetime because you should not miss the opportunity to enjoy the country’s beaches. An abundance of white-sand beaches with turquoise waters may be found throughout the country. The water’s temperature is perfectly warm.
- Banana Islands
- Bunce Island
- Bureh Beach
- Cotton Tree
- Gola Rainforest National Park
- John Obey Beach
- Kangari Hills Forest Reserve
- Lakka Beach
- Lumley Beach
- Mount Bintumani
- National Railway Museum
- Outamba Kilimi National Park
- River Number Two Beach
- Sierra Leone Peace Museum
- Sierra Leone National Museum
- Sierra Palms Resort
- St Georges Cathedral
- Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Tiwai Island
- Western Area Peninsula National Park
What is Sierra Leone famous for?
Sierra Leone is famous for being “the little diamond.” It is a melting pot of ethnicities, religions, and traditions that draws people worldwide. It’s also renowned as a wildlife-rich country. There are four wildlife reserves in the area. This African nation has elephants, hippos, lions, buffaloes, chimpanzees, and a great variety of birds.
Fun Facts about Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leone has a tropical climate and a wide variety of landscapes, from the savannah to the amazon.
- The Menda and Temne are Sierra Leone’s two largest and most influential ethnic groups.
- Since it is a melting pot of ethnicities, religions, and traditions, Sierra Leone is often referred to as “the little diamond” of West Africa.
- Since 2007, Sierra Leone has been one of the world’s newest democracies.
How big is Sierra Leone?
Sierra Leone is about 71,740 square km or 27,669 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Sierra Leone?
The best time to visit Sierra Leone is the months of June to October.
How many days do you need to see Sierra Leone?
More than a week in Sierra Leone is a good amount of time to see the country’s more remote regions and its tallest mountain, Mount Bintumani.
What is the cheapest time to go to Sierra Leone?
The low season (flights) to visit Sierra Leone is in January.
Is Sierra Leone an expensive city to visit?
As a developing country, Sierra Leone’s infrastructure and economy are in the process of being rebuilt. Prices are therefore quite reasonable.
How to save money when visiting Sierra Leone?
The best ways to save money when visiting Sierra Leone are:
- The best time to travel is during the off-season.
- Utilize Public Transportation to Get Around.
- Consider staying at a budget hotel.
- Local restaurants are the best places to eat.
What food (and drinks) is Sierra Leone known for?
Things you need to eat in Sierra Leone before you die:
- Leaf Stew – This dish is known as plasas. Potato leaves, kale, and spinach are the greens used in the dishes.
- Jollof Rice – This dish is well-known throughout Africa. The meal is widely available to tourists in Sierra Leone.
- Star Beer
- Ginger Beer (Non-Alcoholic)
Is Sierra Leone safe to visit?
The administration of this country maintains that, despite popular belief, Sierra Leone is not the safest African country in which to travel. It has extraordinarily high rates of violent and small-time criminal activity. Take all conceivable preventive measures to reduce the possibility of things going wrong.
What is the best way to get around in Sierra Leone?
The best way to get around in Sierra Leone are:
- Okadas (motorbikes) – is another choice for those who need to get somewhere quickly, on a budget, and with a sense of adventure.
- Vehicle Hire – For convenience’s sake, we generally suggest renting a car while visiting Sierra Leone.
- Public Buses – Take a government bus to get to any of the country’s major cities. Tickets can now be pre-ordered ahead of time.
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when visiting Sierra Leone?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Sierra Leone are:
- Freetown Oasis
- Tacugama Sanctuary Lodge
- Ategbe Garden
- Cockle Point
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Sierra Leone are:
- Mamba Point Lagoonda
- Caribbean Fusion Restaurant
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Sierra Leone are:
- Big Market
- Victoria Park Market
- Lumley Beach Arts & Crafts Market
- Kroo Town Market
What should I do on my first trip to Sierra Leone?
If you visit Sierra Leone for the first time, just wander around and get lost in its beauty. You’ll be rewarded for your hard work with beautiful beaches lined with palm trees, a rich history and cultural heritage, and the company of friendly locals.
Is Sierra Leone a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you won’t feel alone because the country’s people are hospitable. Wander around Kambadaga village. It is a modest and pleasant community with historic architecture and welcoming residents. You can explore the nearby area, including the woodlands and river beaches, with their help. Traditional “local” canoes may be used for some of the trips. Even though there are no services in this small town, it has a very charming feel.
Is Sierra Leone a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Sierra Leone as a family with kids, make the most of your time together in the Outamba-Kilimi National Park. Many different kinds of animals live in this lovely savannah and rainforest. More than 150 bird species, including chimpanzees, colobus monkeys, hippos, and potentially even forest elephants, can be found in the area. A canoe trip down the stream in search of hippos or a trip to a bird-watching tower are both viable options in the area.
Is Sierra Leone a good place for couples?
When visiting Sierra Leone as a couple, you can spend time together at Gola Rainforest National Park. The Gola Rainforest National Park, a quick trip from Tiwai Island, is home to a wide variety of animals, from rare, elaborately patterned butterflies to forest elephants who have difficulty finding their peers. There are many ways to enjoy the scenery, including multi-day woodland walks and canoeing.
What are the best annual events in Sierra Leone?
The best annual events in Sierra Leone that you cannot miss are
- Sierra Leone International Film Festival in March
- Ballanta Music Festival in March
- Independence Day in April
- Kiln Sierra Leone Marathon in June.
- Tangains Festival in December