Table of Contents
- Why go to Eritrea?
- What is Eritrea famous for?
- Fun Facts about Eritrea
- How big is Eritrea?
- When is the best time to visit Eritrea?
- How many days do you need to see Eritrea?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Eritrea?
- Is Eritrea an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Eritrea?
- What food (and drinks) is Eritrea known for?
- Is Eritrea safe to visit?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Eritrea?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Eritrea?
- Is Eritrea a good place for solo travel?
- Is Eritrea a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Eritrea a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Eritrea?
Why go to Eritrea?
You must visit Eritrea at least once in your lifetime because Eritrea has beaches, reefs, archipelagos, archaeology, culture, religion, and natural beauty. Furthermore, the colonial past of the country is well-preserved.
- Asmara Zoo
- Asmara’s Opera House
- Dahlak Marine National Park
- Debre Bizen Monastery
- Emba Soira Mountain
- Hawatsu Copse and Reservoir
- Red Sea
- Semenawi Bahri National Park
- St. Mariam Cathedral
- The Danakil Depression
- The Imperial Palace
What is Eritrea famous for?
Eritrea is famous for its abundance of unusual fish species. It also features one of the world’s finest examples of colonial-era architecture. The country is still home to nine different ethnic groups, which makes it a great place to learn about other cultures.
Fun Facts about Eritrea
- Since the country’s independence, no presidential or national election has been held in Eritrea.
- “Erythra Thalassa” refers to the Red Sea, the largest body of water that borders Eritrea.
- One of Africa’s oldest port cities, Asmara, is located in the Eritrean capital, Asmara.
- The Italians occupied Eritrea from 1890 to 1941, when the British seized it during World War II. The United Nations Trust Territory of Eritrea was managed by the British until 1952.
- Eritrea does not have an official language.
How big is Eritrea?
Eritrea is about 117,598 square km or 45405 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Eritrea?
The best time to visit Eritrea is the months of September, October, March, and April.
The ideal time to visit Eritrea is either in September and October or in March and April. The season between June and September is best avoided as it is wet in the west and extremely hot in the east.
How many days do you need to see Eritrea?
Getting to Eritrea requires a stopover in Ethiopia’s main city of Addis Ababa, as there are no direct flights from the UK to that country. It’s simple to get around in Africa’s smallest country, and 10 days is plenty of time to visit the main sights.
What is the cheapest time to go to Eritrea?
The low season (flights) to visit Eritrea is July and August.
Eritrea has a tropical monsoon climate, so temperatures seldom fall below freezing. On the other hand, Eritrea may be said to be cooler than other African nations. Flights to Eritrea are less costly in July and August, making it the best time of year to visit.
Is Eritrea an expensive city to visit?
Overall, Eritrea is a relatively affordable nation. Still, this is a highly costly place to visit in a country where most people make less than USD 50 a day. Compared to other major cities, Asmara’s lodging costs are lower. Hotels, on average, cost less than vacation homes.
How to save money when visiting Eritrea?
The best ways to save money when visiting Eritrea are:
- Be Cautious With Your Expenditures on Food and Drink.
- Take a tour of the area on foot.
- Make the Most of the Deals, Discounts, and Giveaways.
- Utilize the public transport system.
What food (and drinks) is Eritrea known for?
Things you need to eat in Eritrea before you die:
- Daga (a beverage made locally in Barentu)
Is Eritrea safe to visit?
If you avoid certain areas of Eritrea, the nation is generally safe to visit. Petty and violent crimes can happen, although they aren’t very widespread. Nonetheless, be aware of your surroundings and use caution.
What is the best way to get around in Eritrea?
The best way to get around in Eritrea are:
- Car hire
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Eritrea?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Eritrea are:
- Asmara City
- Hotel Asmara Palace
- Crystal Hotel
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Eritrea are:
- Sallam Restaurant
- Roof Garden
- ALBA BISTRO
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Eritrea are:
- The Shuq
- Edaga Lakha
- Asmara Central Market
- Medeber market
What should I do on my first trip to Eritrea?
If you are visiting Eritrea for the first time, start your trip in Asmara, the country’s capital. You can see beautiful Art Deco buildings dotting this vibrant metropolis. Harnet Avenue is the country’s most beautiful and well-known boulevard, so take your time and enjoy the scenery while you’re there.
Is Eritrea a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you may visit an archaeological site in Eritrea known as Qohaito. Safra’s Dam and King Saba’s palace may be found here, both of which date to the Axumite and pre-Axumite eras. This location has been occupied since the 5th century based on the rock art found here. As you tour the remains, it’simagining what life was like back then is energizing.
Is Eritrea a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Eritrea as a family with kids, you will see many beautiful porticos, arcades, and whitewashed homes as you walk throughout the city of Massawa. The Massawa Museum is a great place for children to learn about various subjects, including natural history, archeology, ethnography, colonial art, and military history.
Is Eritrea a good place for couples?
When visiting Eritrea as a couple, you may experience the numerous breathtaking vistas and unique experiences that await you in Eritrea. In Asmara, you can enjoy the architecture or the unique culture. In Massawa, you can take it easy or go hiking or diving in Dahlak Marine National Park to see amazing marine life.
What are the best annual events in Eritrea?
The best annual events in Eritrea that you cannot miss are
- Orthodox Epiphany in January
- Anniversary of the Start of the Armed Struggles in September
- Fenkil Day in February
- Martyr’s Day in June
- Festival Eritrea in July and August