Table of Contents
- Why go to Annecy, France?
- What is Annecy, France, famous for?
- Fun Facts about Annecy, France
- How big is Annecy, France?
- When is the best time to visit Annecy, France?
- How many days do you need to see Annecy, France?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Annecy, France?
- Is Annecy, France, an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Annecy, France?
- What food (and drinks) is Annecy, France, known for?
- Is Annecy, France, safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Annecy, France?
- What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Annecy, France?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Annecy, France?
- Is Annecy, France, a good place for solo travel?
- Is Annecy, France, a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Annecy, France, a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Annecy, France?
Why go to Annecy, France?
You must visit Annecy, France, at least once in your lifetime because Annecy’s old town is stunning. Providing all the amenities of a larger city also offers the exciting opportunities that come with being in the great outdoors. You may spend half of your vacation taking photographs of buildings and touring museums and castles and the other half working up a sweat by hiking or bicycling around the lake. Either way, you’ll have a great time!
- Lac d’Annecy
- Vieille Ville
- Jardins de l’Europe
- Pont Des Amours
- Palais de l’Île
- Saint-Pierre Cathedral
- Château d’Annecy
- Gorges du Fier
- Château de Montrottier
- Eglise Saint-Maurice
- Champs de Mars
- Basilique de la Visitation
- Musée du Film d’Animation
- Château de Menthon Saint-Bernard
- Col Des Aravis
- Veyrier du Lac
What is Annecy, France, famous for?
Annecy, France, is famous for its lake, medieval town, and canal. So it’s called the Venice of the Alps (la Venise des Alpes in french).
Fun Facts about Annecy, France
- Thiou, France’s shortest river at 3,5 kilometers long, receives its water from Annecy Lake. Annecy’s canals, formed by the river’s passage through the city, add to the city’s charm.
- As of 2015, Annecy is France’s ninth most-flowered city and has been awarded the “Golden Flower” award.
- In the past, the “Palacio de Ille” was a jail. In 1900, it was designated as a national historic landmark.
- Annecy is one of the easiest Alps sites to reach. Geneva and Chambery are both 35 minutes away.
- Annecy, Munich, and Pyeongchang will host the 2018 Winter Olympics. It’s the 4th French city to hold Winter Olympics, following Chamonix, Grenoble, and Albertville.
How big is Annecy, France?
Annecy is about 67 square km or 26 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Annecy, France?
The best time to visit Annecy, France, is in the months of September-October. Temperatures can fall as low as -4°C (25°F) in winter, such as January. In August, the sun shines the longest in Annecy, allowing you to make the most of your time there during the day.
How many days do you need to see Annecy, France?
Annecy is a small city, so you can do most of the main things there in one day. But we suggest spending at least two days in Annecy to see the lake and the rest of the area.
What is the cheapest time to go to Annecy, France?
February is the low season (flights) to visit Annecy, France. January, November, and December are regarded to be the peak season.
Is Annecy, France, an expensive city to visit?
Based on the average daily price of previous travelers to Annecy, you should budget roughly €142 ($150) for your holiday. On average, visitors have spent €46 ($49) on meals and €30 ($31) on local transportation for a single day.
How to save money when visiting Annecy, France?
The best ways to save money when visiting Annecy, France are:
- Carpooling is a common mode of transportation in France since it is safe, fast, inexpensive, and convenient for those on a tight budget. You may search for excursions and book them online for free with BlaBlaCar, which is the most popular service.
- Tipping isn’t required. Most French folks don’t tip. The wait staff is salaried, so tipping is not required, but leaving something is always great. France doesn’t tip outside of restaurants.
- Avoid touristy restaurants. Touristy restaurants might be costly and subpar. Find local restaurants outside of Paris’s popular neighbourhoods.
- Shopping at markets and supermarkets is cheaper than eating out if you can cook at your hotel. Markets are cheaper than supermarkets, but the food quality is typically greater, especially for cheese and deli. You may buy gourmet cuisine from the producer (not usually) at the market.
What food (and drinks) is Annecy, France, known for?
Things you need to eat in Annecy, France, before you die:
- Bacon and cheese baguettes
- Raclette meets Tartiflette
- Fusion Cheese Sandwiches
Is Annecy, France, safe to visit?
Generally, it is relatively safe to travel to and stay in Annecy. Although it’s one of the safest places in the country, there’s always the possibility of danger. Using caution in a foreign place is usually the best way to prevent getting taken advantage of. Petty theft is the most prevalent type of crime. Therefore keep your valuables close at hand at all times.
What is the best way to get around in Annecy, France?
The best ways to get around in Annecy, France are:
What neighbourhoods or areas should I stay in when I visit Annecy, France?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Annecy, France are:
- Annecy Le Vieux – An Annecy Family Hostel
- Old Town – Tourists’ guide to lodging options in Annecy
- Le Semnoz – Winter Accommodations Near Annecy
- La Tournette – Nature lovers’ haven near Annecy
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Annecy, France are:
- La Bastille Annecy
- Le Denti
- Le Ramoneur Savoyard
- Le Wyn
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Annecy, France are:
- Old Town Market
- Rue Royale
- Galeries Lafayette
- Centre Commercial Courier
What should I do on my first trip to Annecy, France?
If you are visiting Annecy, France, for the first time, take a walk along the beach of Lake Annecy to get things off to a good start. Afterward, go to the historic district of Annecy to see the canals and the Annecy Castle Museum. You might have something to eat for lunch in the old town and then cap it off with some of the incredible ice cream from the glacier des Alpes.
Is Annecy, France, a good place for solo travel?
When travelling solo, see the Palais de L’ile in the Thiou canal. Admire ducks and swans on the clean canal. Get photographs or coffee along the canals when the world is still waking up. Visit Palais de L’ile while in the Old Town. This palace island was a jail, minting workshop, administrative center, and royal dwelling.
Is Annecy, France, a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Annecy, France as a family with kids, traveling with children is a breeze in Annecy. It is located in the French Alps, thanks to an abundance of open green areas and kid-friendly attractions. There are a plethora of breathtaking sights to see as well.
Is Annecy, France, a good place for couples?
When visiting Annecy, France, as a couple, this city stands out among other renowned French destinations due to its ancient appeal. You and your spouse will appreciate the city’s history, natural characteristics, and particular attractions in a calm setting. Annecy’s fairy tale castles, spa treatments, riverbanks, and gardens are a must-see for couples.
What are the best annual events in Annecy, France?
The best annual events in Annecy, France that you cannot miss are
- The Venitian Carnaval in February
- Annecy Lake Festival in August
- Noctibules Festival in July
- Village Festival in April
- Farmers Festival in October