Table of Contents
- Why go to Cabo Verde?
- What is Cabo Verde famous for?
- Fun Facts about Cabo Verde
- How big is Cabo Verde?
- When is the best time to visit Cabo Verde?
- How many days do you need to see Cabo Verde?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Cabo Verde?
- Is Cabo Verde an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Cabo Verde?
- What food (and drinks) is Cabo Verde known for?
- Is Cabo Verde safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Cabo Verde?
- What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Cabo Verde?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Cabo Verde?
- Is Cabo Verde a good place for solo travel?
- Is Cabo Verde a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Cabo Verde a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Cabo Verde?
Why go to Cabo Verde?
You must visit Cabo Verde at least once in your lifetime because it is one of the best locations to visit in 2018. According to CNN Travel, Cape Verde’s 10 islands comprise beautiful beaches, enormous volcanoes, picture-perfect ports of call, and sunsets accentuated by windblown sand from the Sahara Desert.
- Santa Maria Beach
- Pico de Fogo
- Boa Vista
- Santo Antão Island
- Sao Vicente, Cape Verde
- Pedra de Lume Salt Crater
- Varandinha Beach, Boa Vista
- Sal Rei
- Ribeira Grande Cape Verde
- Porto Novo
- Tarrafal, Cape Verde
- Morro, Cape Verde
- Vila Nova Sintra
- Sao Filipe
- Sao Nicolau
- Santa Luzia
- Rabil Village
- Buracona or Blue eye, Sal
- Cidade Velha – Santiago
What is Cabo Verde famous for?
Cabo Verde is famous for its tropical warmth, volcanic islands, talented musicians, and delectable cuisine; these are some of Cape Verde’s many drawcards. Cape Verde is a popular winter vacation destination for Europeans, but it may be unfamiliar to many Americans.
Fun Facts about Cabo Verde
- Located off the west coast of Africa, Cabo Verde is an island republic with ten main islands and five smaller islets.
- Following a military takeover in Portugal in 1974, Cabo Verde obtained complete independence in 1975.
- Discovered by Portuguese explorers in the 15th century, the islands of Cabo Verde were uninhabited.
- Only Namibia enjoys more press freedom in Africa than Cabo Verde. Overall, it ranks 27th.
- Ten islands and five islets make up the archipelago.
How big is Cabo Verde?
Cabo Verde is about 4,033 square km or 1557 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Cabo Verde?
The best time to visit Cabo Verde is the months between November and June. This is when the islands’ famous white-sand beaches are at their best. The temperature stays in the mid-to-high-20s, and it doesn’t rain much.
How many days do you need to see Cabo Verde?
A tour of Cabo Verde that lasts for seven days will ensure that you get the most out of your time spent exploring and appreciating these breathtaking islands.
What is the cheapest time to go to Cabo Verde?
The low season (flights) to visit Cabo Verde is in the month of March. The months of January, November, and December are regarded as the high season.
Is Cabo Verde an expensive city to visit?
Traveling to Sal and Boa Vista, the two most popular islands in Cape Verde may be pricey. The average cost per person for a 10-day all-inclusive vacation is $1000, which includes airfare if you’re coming from the UK or Europe. Traveling to lesser-known islands might be less expensive.
How to save money when visiting Cabo Verde?
The best ways to save money when visiting Cabo Verde are:
- Avoid taxis if you don’t speak the language of the country you’re visiting. Foreigners or those who inquire about their fares will be charged twice or triple the authorized rate by taxi drivers.
- A rental agreement should be avoided at all costs. Why? Landlords will be put off by your lack of knowledge of CV’s housing market. Double the monthly rent and demand that you pay it all upfront in cash!
- Many foreigners grew up dining out. Eating out in CV might be expensive. Instead, seek affordable local choices. Lunch is 2.50€ and dinner is 5€. Avoid tourist eateries. The pizza costs 10€. Buying groceries and cooking at home is cheaper (or as frequently as possible).
- Boats/ferries (30-60€ each way) and domestic airlines (60-70€ each way) are choices for inter-island travel. When airlines offer specials and super-specials, tickets are half-price or less. Specials make it cheaper than the boat. Ferries are an excellent alternative, although they may not run to all the islands or be available on your vacation dates. Daily flights anywhere (except Santo Antao and Brava).
What food (and drinks) is Cabo Verde known for?
Things you need to eat in Cabo Verde before you die:
- Calderado—a fish meal (typically cavala, mackerel) with potato, pumpkin, carrots, and vegetables, served with rice, tomato puree, and corn puree.
- Lobster stew – is steamed lobster with your choice of sauce.
- Grogue – is Cape Verde’s official liquor. It is made from distilled sugar cane and has a high alcohol content of more than 40%. In Cape Verdean culture, rum-making and rum-drinking go hand-in-hand. Grogue is a drink that may be enjoyed on several occasions and is commonly made by farmers.
- Percebes – are sea fingers or gooseneck barnacles steamed in a big pot and eaten by breaking off the end and peeling the skin to get to the meat, which has a texture like a squid.
Is Cabo Verde safe to visit?
Visitors to Cape Verde may be sure that its low crime rate makes it a reasonably risk-free destination. However, minor crimes, such as theft, appear to be on the rise primarily because of the recent surge in travel to the nation.
What is the best way to get around in Cabo Verde?
The best way to get around in Cabo Verde are:
What are the neighborhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Cabo Verde?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Cabo Verde are:
- Odjo d’Agua Hotel
- Djabraba’s Eco-Lodge
- Hilton Cabo Verde Sal Resort
- Oasis Porto Grande
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Cabo Verde are:
- Bar E Lanchonete Monteiro
- Pizzaria e Choperia do Trevo
- Pizzaria Do Reginho
- Bar Da Condessa
What are the best neighborhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Cabo Verde are:
- Mercado de Peixe
- Mercado de Sucupira
- Cabo Verde Republic
- Assomada Market
What should I do on my first trip to Cabo Verde?
If you are visiting Cabo Verde for the first time, visit Santa Maria on Sal for a little bit of everything. Santa Maria is a terrific location to start, as it is both a gorgeous beach resort and on Cape Verde’s most tourist-developed island, Sal. Select Boa Vista for only beach time. Spend less time on the beach and more time on excursions. Listen to some live music in Mindelo, São Vicente. If you enjoy walking, you should choose Santa Anto. Santo Anto is a veritable paradise for hikers, endowed with verdant mountain peaks, jaw-dropping gorges, and otherworldly panoramas.
Is Cabo Verde a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, Is it safe to travel to Cape Verde? Yes, in general, it’s a safe bet. The islands are a haven of tranquillity and relaxation. The crime rate is meager compared to the rest of West Africa and should not be reached in any manner. As a backpacker, you’ll find that hostels are an excellent place to meet other travelers. Meeting new people in Cape Verde is difficult because there aren’t many hostels. For example, Black Mamba on Santo Antao is a guesthouse with a hostel vibe. Solo travel may be a wonderful experience if you’re content with doing some activities on your own or interacting with the locals.
Is Cabo Verde a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Cabo Verde as a family with kids, the islands of Cape Verde are fantastic vacation destinations for families with young children. Long stretches of sandy beaches, the ability to play in hotel pools and participate in organized activities, and the added bonus of getting to know the locals and their culture all come together on a typical family vacation in Cape Verde. Because of its tropical environment and refreshing winds, Cape Verde is an excellent place for families to live. Spend your days on one of the numerous beaches and have fun in the sea. At the Riu Touareg Hotel on Santa Monica beach, children who are a little older might try their hand at windsurfing lessons.
Is Cabo Verde a good place for couples?
When visiting Cabo Verde as a couple, Santa Maria features a long, rounded bay of soft golden sand. At one end is home to the main town, where plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars peruse during the evenings. On the other end, there are some fantastic hotels, such as the Hilton Cabo Verde Sal Resort, which is an excellent choice for couples looking for a luxury getaway. Santa Maria is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a romantic getaway.
What are the best annual events in Cabo Verde?
The best annual events in Cabo Verde that you cannot miss are
- Festivals in São Vicente in February
- Boa Vista Festivals in July
- Sal Festivals in August
- Santa Maria Festival in September
- Gamboa Festival in May