Table of Contents
- Why go to Des Moines?
- What is Des Moines famous for?
- Fun Facts about Des Moines
- How big is Des Moines?
- When is the best time to visit Des Moines?
- How many days do you need to see Des Moines?
- What is the cheapest time to go to Des Moines?
- Is Des Moines an expensive city to visit?
- How to save money when visiting Des Moines?
- What food (and drinks) is Des Moines known for?
- Is Des Moines safe to visit?
- What is the best way to get around in Des Moines?
- What are the neighbourhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Des Moines?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
- What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
- What should I do on my first trip to Des Moines?
- Is Des Moines a good place for solo travel?
- Is Des Moines a good place to visit for a family with kids?
- Is Des Moines a good place for couples?
- What are the best annual events in Des Moines?
Why go to Des Moines?
You must visit Des Moines at least once in your lifetime because It is a city with a lot to see and do, from the theater to the arts to the culinary scene. Cheer on the Iowa Cubs, the Iowa Wild, and a host of other sports teams. Listen to live music while sipping artisan beer on the riverbank. Shop at street-front boutiques and large, well-known chains.
- Adventureland Resort
- Big Creek State Park
- Blank Park Zoo
- Center Grove Orchard
- Chocolate Storybook
- Des Moines Art Center
- Des Moines Civic Center
- Des Moines’ Downtown Farmers’ Market
- Franklin Avenue Library
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Hoyt Sherman Place
- Iowa State Fair
- Jester Park
- Jasper Winery
- Pappajohn Sculpture Park
- Salisbury House & Gardens
- State Historical Museum
- Terrace Hill
- The Science Center of Iowa
- World Food Prize Hall of Laureates
What is Des Moines famous for?
Des Moines is famous for its many events and festivals.
Fun Facts about Des Moines
- From 1942 to 2009, a local ordinance prohibited dancing in public places between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- The Iowa State Capitol’s dome holds about 100 ounces of gold.
- “Superman Returns” star Brandon Routh was born and raised in Des Moines.
- Fort Raccoon was the original name of Des Moines. It was renamed Fort Des Moines in 1837, and Des Moines was shortened in 1857.
- According to some estimates, the average annual potato chip consumption in Des Moines is almost eleven pounds.
How big is Des Moines?
Des Moines is about 235 square km or 91 square miles in size.
When is the best time to visit Des Moines?
The best time to visit Des Moines, Iowa, is the months of June through August.
How many days do you need to see Des Moines?
Spending two to five days in Des Moines is an ideal length of time.
What is the cheapest time to go to Des Moines?
The low season (flights) to visit Des Moines is in August.
Is Des Moines an expensive city to visit?
Des Moines, Iowa, is 10% less expensive than the rest of the country. It costs $1,558 for a single tourist to visit Des Moines, $2,798 for a couple, and $5,246 for a family with children to visit the city for a week. Hotels in Des Moines cost an average of $106 per night, ranging from $63 for a basic room to $288 for a luxury suite. On the other hand, most vacation rentals cost between $200 and $500 per night.
How to save money when visiting Des Moines?
The best ways to save money when visiting Des Moines are:
- Go by the DART Shuttle. It offers a cheap fair.
- Every day during the State Fair, there are a variety of free activities. Take advantage of that.
- Eating at home rather than dining out will save you money in the long run.
- The Blue Ribbon Kids’ Club is a particular section of the fair for children 10 and younger, and it provides a unique chance for them to learn about the fair (all for FREE).
What food (and drinks) is Des Moines known for?
Things you need to eat in Des Moines before you die:
- Steak de Burgo
- Pork tenderloin
- Bloody Mary
- Classic daiquiri
Is Des Moines safe to visit?
Even in Des Moines, if you follow the typical safety precautions, you will be OK. Traveling by car? Make sure you park it in a well-guarded parking area and close the doors properly. During the day, it’s generally safe to walk around the city. Make sure you’re aware of your surroundings at night.
What is the best way to get around in Des Moines?
The best way to get around in Des Moines are:
- DART D-Line shuttle
- Jefferson Bus Lines
What are the neighbourhoods or areas I should stay in when I visit Des Moines?
The best areas you should stay in when visiting Des Moines are:
- West Des Moines
- Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Des Moines Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites Des Moines Downtown
- Munras Avenue
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for food?
The best areas for food and drinks when visiting Des Moines are:
- Proudfoot & Bird
- High Life Lounge
- B & B Grocery Meat & Deli
- 801 Chophouse
What are the best neighbourhoods or areas for shopping?
The best areas for shopping when visiting Des Moines are:
- Valley West Mall.
- Merle Hay Mall.
- Outlets of Des Moines.
- Jordan Creek Town Center
What should I do on my first trip to Des Moines?
If you are visiting Des Moines for the first time and you want to spend your time looking at artwork or learning about history, places like the Des Moines Art Center are perfect. But the Iowa State Fair’s amusement attractions, performances, and sporting events are the major draws for others. You might spend your time browsing the East Village’s pace with the fast selection of boutiques or dining at eateries like Chuck’s, which serves the freshest, most delicious beef in the city. When planning your next trip to the Midwest, don’t forget about Des Moines.
Is Des Moines a good place for solo travel?
When traveling solo, you will be honing your artistic abilities here. Kitchen Collage is another great thing to do in Des Moines if you’re looking for something to do on your own. There are cooking lessons available. These are great for those who enjoy eating. Many opportunities exist in Des Moines for meeting new people when traveling alone. If you’re in this city by yourself, there are many fun things to do!
Is Des Moines a good place to visit for a family with kids?
When visiting Des Moines as a family with kids, you will be amazed because this will be memorable. The city is always jam-packed with a plethora of activities and events. To make the most of your time in Des Moines, use the Des Moines Parent event calendar to look for additional family-friendly activities.
Is Des Moines a good place for couples?
When visiting Des Moines as a couple, you will explore the romance in the Midwest. Des Moines is the place to go. East Village Spa is a great place to have a couple’s massage and visit over 200 pubs, restaurants, and boutiques. Sticks and Wanderlust are good options for the lady, while Fontenelle Supply Co. and Marv’s Record Shop are good choices for the gent.
What are the best annual events in Des Moines?
The best annual events in Des Moines that you cannot miss are
- Des Moines Arts Festival in June
- ArtFest Midwest in June
- Celebrate the Parks in May
- Pella Tulip Festival in May
- Newton Fest in June